Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Writers Autobiography

First Person


Headed through the woods with my Nikon camera, and my favorite 70-300 lens attached, I snap photo after photo of bear, moose, trees, acorns, or even just the sky. I know how to stand, I know how to angle the camera, I know how to examine even the tiniest spectacle and maintain a good picture. As I step over twigs, between puddles or over the tallest grass I have no care in the world. It doesn’t matter who is looking over my shoulder or critiquing my every move. I ignore all that’s around, and focus on my passion; photography. All my worries and problems have been left behind, almost like the Sony Cybershot that I no longer desire. I have bigger and better.

Writing is nothing like photography; to me anyways. I need critiquing; I desire a better writing stance. I know my journals and poetry don’t compare to that of William Shakespeare, but I attempt to get A’s and try my hardest. If I am writing, please don’t look over my shoulder. I don’t have the confidence in writing as I do photography. I know in my blogs and journals I have mountains of room to grow, and I expect criticism.



Second Person

You are headed through the woods with your Nikon camera, and your favorite 70-300 lens attached. You snap photo after photo of bear, moose, trees, acorns, or even just the sky. You know how to stand, you know how to angle the camera, you know how to examine even the tiniest spectacle and maintain a good picture. As you step over twigs, between puddles or over the tallest grass you have no care in the world. It doesn’t matter who is looking over your shoulder or critiquing your every move. You ignore all that’s around, and focus on your passion; photography. All your worries and problems have been left behind, almost like the Sony Cybershot that you no longer desire. You have bigger and better.

Writing is nothing like photography; to you anyways. You need critiquing; you desire a better writing stance. You know your journals and poetry don’t compare to that of William Shakespeare, but you attempt to get A’s and try your hardest. If you are writing, hopefully nobody looks over your shoulder. You don’t have the confidence in writing as you do photography. You know in your blogs and journals you have mountains of room to grow, and you expect criticism.



Third Person

She was headed through the woods with her Nikon camera, and her favorite 70-300 lens attached, she snaps photo after photo of bear, moose, trees, acorns, or even just the sky. She knows how to stand, she knows how to angle the camera, she knows how to examine even the tiniest spectacle and maintain a good picture. As she steps over twigs, between puddles or over the tallest grass she has no care in the world. It doesn’t matter who is looking over her shoulder or critiquing her every move. She ignores all that’s around, and focus’ on her passion; photography. All her worries and problems have been left behind, almost like the Sony Cybershot that she no longer desires. She has bigger and better.

Writing is nothing like photography; to her anyways. She needs critiquing; she desires a better writing stance. She knows her journals and poetry don’t compare to that of William Shakespeare, but she attempts to get A’s and tries her hardest. If she is writing, please don’t look over her shoulder. She doesn’t have the confidence in writing as she does photography. She knows in her blogs and journals she has mountains of room to grow, and she expects criticism.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, I didn't mean to simply change pronouns and verb tenses; that's just busywork--take a look at what some of your classmates or former students have done with the assignment (but don't let them intimidate you!)

    Writing as 'you' or 'she' can offer different perspectives or takes on the same material; think photography: different lenses, stops, filters, exposures, developing techniques change the picture considerably even though the thing pictured is the thing pictured.

    Make sense? If you want, try a 'you' and 'she' without reference to the first person piece here, which is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is what you were looking for...

    Second Person

    You have no idea how to get there. When it comes to photography you know your stuff. Writing? Not so much. How hard can this be? Taking pictures in the woods, on Main Street or in the boat comes so simply. Why can’t the words to an essay topic flow naturally like your sight for photo taking? You huff and you puff and finally; nothing. Hour’s later writer’s block seems to consume your life. Why can’t this be easy? You head up the Golden Road in hope’s to see some wildlife to photograph. Then maybe, just maybe when you return home your writer’s block will mysteriously disappear. Pssh Who are you kidding?

    Third Person

    As she clutches her handbag jammed full of camera accessories and her new Nikon camera, she heads off to the woods. A nice quiet ride alone through the mountain is exactly what the doctor ordered. Trees, flowers, and wildlife capture so perfectly in a picture. “Who needs a story when you can create your own through a photo”, she whispers quietly to herself. Photo after photo, flash after flash, time is escaping her. It is now time to drive, back to reality. She secretly dreams of how life, especially writing should be as simple as her passion; photography. She sits at the desk, thinking of what to write. She daydreams, and ponders some more. Nothing. It’s hopeless. She gives up. Why does she need to write when so many others do such an amazing job at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, more what I hoped for, but you have a strong voice that carries through all three of the versions--they all sound very much like you which probably makes you strong as a writer, if maybe a little less flexible. Trade-offs!

    ReplyDelete