Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week 3-Set the Scene

Standing outside the restaurant, the bitter air blusters through my helmet, causing my skin to tingle and sting. The coldness has seemed to pervade through my many layers of clothes, making my finger and toes numb. Tiny, icicles start forming on my face shield as soon as I remove my helmet.
My tummy is obviously telling me there is something wrong. I cant wait to get inside and eat some food. It has only been about six hours, but It feels as though we haven’t eaten in days.
I think back; The ride was exhilarating. The ITS trails were amazing and freshly groomed.. The weather conditions were perfect. Everything glistened as the moon shone off the new fallen snow. The fresh cover of snow made the tree’s seem to hug the trail and give you a sense of comfort. Serenity was in the atmosphere….
“Are you guys ready to go in?”
I quit daydreaming.
“Of course we are Dad!”
“I’m not staying out here another minute, I’m ready to run to the door, I’m so cold!” says Chelsea
“I’d love to see you run in those boots and ski pants!” ha-ha ha
“Oh, shut up.” She said jokingly.
We walk in to the restaurant and go to sit down.
“Can I help you?” the waitress asks.
“Yeah, we would like some food. We are starving!”
“Oh I’m sorry, we closed five minutes ago,”
It was one of the most insincere apologies I had ever heard.
“What? I thought the sign said you were open until 11pm?”
“Oh, we usually are, but we decided to close early tonight since it‘s snowing.”
“So can we get anything? Something easy and fast to cook, maybe a hotdog?” Chelsea asked.
“Oh no, we already shut our grills off, but you can go to the store part. There is already made sandwiches out there for sale, but you better hurry, they are closing up also.”
We head to the store. The only sandwiches in the cooler case looked like they had been made 5 days ago, the cheese looked hard, the tomatoes brown, the pickles soggy, and the salami had left a permanent mark on the cheese. But we were so hungry. We made our purchase, trying not to think about how long they had set there. We got sodas (since the coffee was already dumped), sandwiches and a few snacks, and headed out the door.
As the store and restaurant closed up, we were made to stand outside and eat. It was so bitter even our tomatoes started freezing.
“This is nasty, what kind of store would sell something like this?”
“Never mind the sandwiches, what kind of person would make you eat outside in the freezing cold, have a friggen heart, stupid lady?”
“Did you guys see those deer on the ride up? They don’t seem to get spooked by anything, Dad said trying change the subject”
“Nate, who cares about deer? We still have a 6 hour ride home, and they wouldn’t even let us get warm…bastards!”
“Oh, we’ll make it, it’s not that cold out. If it was it wouldn’t be snowing.” he said as he grabbed my sandwich and took a huge bite.
“Yeah right Dad. My cheeks are burning. Are they red Chels?”
“Yeah, a little.”
“If it keeps snowing like this you are going to have to break trail, Ginger.”
“Awe, Dad, I hate breaking trail! Why can’t you do it?” I whined.
“We have been over this many times, Ginger. Your snow sled is made for it, and does a lot better job than mine. If it gets too hard, just pull over and I’ll switch sleds with you.”
“Alright,” I mouthed with a sarcastic tone. “I am chilled to the bone, lets go!”
We throw our trash away. I put my helmet on, find my gloves and pull my neck warmer up over my mouth, in hopes that it will keep my face from turning into a popsicle. We turn the hand and feet warmers on high, and start the sleds. I go first, as they follow. I hope I remember the way.
Down the trail we go, in hopes to find a place to warm up.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Unusual topic, and this isn't just a well-set scene and good dialogue--we get the problem too: hunger, cold, mean people. That's nicely done, an added tip for the reader. You have a lot of characters and keep them all clear and separate, give them each some snappy things to say, and begin and end it very strongly.

    Writing very generous to the reader.

    Works for me.

    ReplyDelete