Saturday, November 13, 2010

WEEK 10

“I need help. I need more help than your giving. I am three weeks behind in my writing class. Chemistry is the worst class I have ever taken. My other classes are fine, but our house is a mess, the yard needs to be raked, the trampoline needs to be taken down, and the house needs to be winterized. I did it all last year because you were working away. I can’t do it! I already feel bad because I rarely see the kids. Then when I do, I feel horrible because I can’t split my time evenly. Riley gets screwed. He was an only child for six years and he’s used to the attention, now his baby sister is hogging it all. I feel bad. I can’t do it. I just need help!”

He grinned and leaned over to hug me.

“Seriously, Justin, I don’t need a hug. I need help.”

His grin then turned in to a laugh.

******

I held my foot out to stop the walker and swept up the dirt pile as fast as I could. She follows me everywhere. Which usually makes me happy, but today she’s rambunctious. As soon as I let go, she went for the island. I know she is going to wipe out the shelves.

“Natelee, please don’t do that!“

It was too late. Ugh. For being five months old she was a smart little cookie, she knows what she wants and she goes and gets it. I can’t sweep, can’t empty the dishwasher, and she makes a bigger mess than I just picked up. I give up on cleaning today.

******

“Natelee, no. Don’t eat that! I need that for school. Justin, I need help. She’s trying to eat my note cards!”

He plopped her in her swing, hoping she wouldn’t get into anymore mischief. She didn’t, she fell asleep, but Riley was yelling now. I went to go see what he needed. Usually when he asked for help it was important, so I ran up the stairs.

“Oh my God Riley! How did you manage to flood the bathroom floor?”

“I didn’t mean too. I guess I just used too much toilet paper. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay buddy. Can you help Mama clean it up?

******

“Holy crap, who in the hell? What the…”

“You like it? Today while you were in Bangor with the kids I did it.”

“Of course I do! It looks so good in here. Thank you so much for the help!”

2 comments:

  1. I like it too, all but the last vignette which is stiff and overwritten. How about:

    Holy crap! What...?”

    “You like it?”

    “Seriously, Justin, I need a hug. Right now. Thank you.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my internet has been messed up for about a week now. They finally came and fixed it today! yay So I will be getting caught up on my writing asap.

    That does sound so much better. It's funny how just a few minor changes makes the piece....

    ReplyDelete