Sunday, November 21, 2010

WEEK 11

 
Our stockings. Wait my brothers. Where are they? I skip most of the stairs as I run back up to wake them.

“It’s Christmas!, “ I chant as I jump on their bed.

Any other time they probably would have threw something at me for waking them. Not today. They were up. I was surprised the smell French toast and bacon didn’t wake them sooner. Or the Christmas music that was blaring, that we had made fun of my Mom for listening too since October. We fight to go through the hall and the stairs at the same time.

It’s stocking time! The one and only thing we could open before our parents were watching. It was usually filled with useful stuff that we weren’t too keen on, like toothbrushes, cards and the lifesaver box…which seemed to be becoming a tradition, but it was still exciting.

*****

We had waited all year for this. The jolly ol’ St. Nicholas had to have came and delivered us everything that we wanted. We ripped open our gifts. Although our parents made us have some kind of order, we had to collect our wrapping paper in a large black trash bag. We all had gotten a few small gifts that we had wanted, but where was our big gifts? Santa always got us the big gift we wanted. We got helmets, but we never went on our Uncle’s snow sled or four wheeler very often. So I figured this was just a mistake on Santa‘s part. We were a little disappointed, but tried not to show it. We opened our new packages one by one. I lugged my new baby doll around everywhere I went. I loved her, so it made me forget about the “big” present I never received.

*****

After the excitement of Christmas wore off, us kids decided we were going to make a snow fort and use our new outside toys. We bundled up like we were headed out in the Arctic. Everything glistened from the new fallen snow. It was beautiful. Wait, but…what the heck was that? Our eyes must’ve shown how excited we were. As we got closer, we noticed it was two new snow sleds, with huge bows attached to the handle bars.

1 comment:

  1. Mercy, your parents must have had superhuman self-control to not tip you the wink and let you know what was what.

    Yes, linked vignettes--or two anyway. The last is not really a vignette but a narrative element you needed to include somehow but couldn't quite vignettize.

    ReplyDelete